Greene County

Greene County from Visit West Alabama on Vimeo.

Bird’s Hay Bale Art Farm

west alabama image

Bird’s Farm is a large field beside Highway 43 that contains many amusing and imaginative creations, most of which were made with large bales of hay. Many motorists driving along Highway 43 between Demopolis and Eutaw have done a double-take when they …

learn more

Kirkwood Mansion

west alabama image

Kirkwood is a historic plantation home in Eutaw, Alabama. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 17, 1976, due to its architectural significance. Kirkwood is a historic antebellum plantation mansion located in Eutaw. It is a G …

learn more

Littleberry Pippen (Pippen Plantation) House

west alabama image

This is a private residence- drive by only This one-story wood-frame house, built in the early 1840’s, features a Creole Cottage-style architecture with later Greek Revival modifications. It is one of three similar Creole Cottage-style homes in Eutaw. …

learn more

Magnolia on Main

west alabama image

This is a private residence- drive by only. William Scears owned the plantation home, Glenville, which was located about three miles from town. He built “Magnolia on Main” circa 1904 as a townhouse for his family to make it more convenient for his chil …

learn more

Meriwether-Steele House

west alabama image

The Dr. Willis Meriwether House, also known as the Clark-Malone House, is a historic vernacular Greek Revival style house in Eutaw, AL. The house is a two-story wood framed building on a brick foundation.  Six square box columns span the front portico. …

learn more

Mesopotamia Female Seminary

west alabama image

The original site of the Mesopotamia Female Seminary was just west of Eutaw. In 1889 this building was moved to the present location at the intersection of Main & Wilson.  It became the core of Eutaw Female College, a reorganization of the old Euta …

learn more

Murphy-Dunlap House

west alabama image

This is a private residence- drive by only The Murphy-Dunlap house is just one of many historic antebellum homes in Eutaw, AL. This frame-story-over-high-brick-foundation style house was built in 1847 by Daniel R. Wright. It has an unusual “winter kitc …

learn more

Sheriff’s Office at the Town Square, 1842

west alabama image

This small two-story brick building is referred to as the Old Sheriff’s Office and the Grand Jury Room.  It is located on the northeast corner of Eutaw’s Old Courthouse Square and is identified by a bronze plaque that gives 1842 as the completion date …

learn more

St Stephens Episcopal Church, 1914

west alabama image

In 1845, the Anglican minister Rev. John H. Linebaugh organized and taught an Anglican confirmation class in Eutaw. Nine were confirmed in June of 1845 and the small congregation was organized into a parish. The first vestry was elected and appointed t …

learn more

St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, 1854

west alabama image

Join us in worship on the fourth Sunday of every month at 11 am. This church was built in 1854 at the plantation community of The Fork of Greene located twelve miles southeast of Boligee, AL.  The building was consecrated by Bishop Cobbs on April 28, 1 …

learn more

Vaughn-Morrow House (Greene Co Hist Soc)

west alabama image

This home was built circa 1841 by Iredell P. Vaughan, a tailor, for his new bride, Miss Ann Margaret Steele. It has a raised Creole Cottage style construction. A one-story porch spans the full width of the east and south facades. It was added to the Na …

learn more

Webb-Grubbs House, “Shadowlawn” c 1840

west alabama image

This home was built circa 1840 for William Peter Webb, a lawyer from North Carolina who was one of the earliest residents of Eutaw. During early remodeling, a two-story porch was added with a door on the second level entering a balcony.

learn more

William Perkins House (built 1850s)

west alabama image

The William Perkins House, also known as the Freemount, is a historic Greek Revival style house that was built in the 1850s by William Perkins, a wealthy merchant from Kentucky. The house is a two-story wood framed building on a raised brick foundation …

learn more

William R Ward Cottage

west alabama image

The William R. Ward cottage, built in 1896, is one of the early works of Brough, Eutaw’s noted Victorian-style home builder.  The main portion of the house has a steep hip roof.  Small pavilions jutting from each side of this roof are crowned by gables …

learn more

Winston-McAlpine-Hitt House

west alabama image

This late-Victorian house was built around 1880. It is located at the intersection of Wilson Avenue and Boligee Street near downtown Eutaw, AL.

learn more
Visit Us On Facebook